Monday, May 23, 2005

Phase #1

Almost there. Worked-around a legacy mythtv-suite dependency bug by installing individual myth plugins.

I managed to fill the channel listing with some bogus channels while playing with the UK bleb xmltv grabber and coudn't find a way of removing them with mythtvsetup or mythfilldatabase. I installed PhpMyAdmin (Web->MySQL gateway) and cleaned up the 'channels' table by hand. It was only after I'd done this that I found Mythweb also provides direct access to the channels table. However, I'd recommend PhpMyAdmin for anyone wanting GUI-based browse/search/edit access to their mythconverg database.

My phase #1 objective is to have a usable MythTV system. Phase #2 is about system tuning and satisfying the AV-quality daemons within me.

Phase #1 dependencies:
  1. Fix PVR350 X display size. The full 720x576 PAL image has it's edges cut off. Don't know whether I should:
    1. adjust the framebuffer size
    2. adjust the X size
    3. adjust mythfrontend display size
    4. play with under/overscan settings
    Suggestions anyone?
  2. Build an IR transmitter to control my NTL box
  3. Take a quick look at the audio subsystem, possibly using a PVR350 loop-through
  4. Adjust the recording quality and capture size
  5. Finish fixing tv_grab_uk_bleb (for the radio channels). I have this working and can get mythfilldatabase to pull in a pre-generated XML file but I need to clean up my hack
At this point I should have a basic but usable MythTV system. It won't be capable of much beyond recording pre-selected TV/Radio.

Phase #2 (in no particular order and subject to change):
  • Heat&Noise
    • Replace the shuttle fan
    • Re-mount the hard-disk using shock-cord
    • Use one of my 2.5" laptop disks as a boot drive
    • Enable laptop_mode and disk spindown
    • enable CPU frequency management
    • Try undervolting the CPU
  • Make DVD playback work by one (or more) of:
    1. getting the ATI IGP9100 svideo-out working
    2. building a VGA->RGB format converter
    3. trying to get the very recent ivtv Xv (YUV) stuff working
    Suggestions?
  • Buy an RGB->svideo format converter. My test setup is using a VCR to do composite->svideo conversion (yuk!)
  • Rearrange my AV system to accomodate an RGB input from the PVR350
  • Get the SPDIF out working for AC3 passthrough. My Amp can take analogue and digital audio from a single source and will switch between the 2 based on the presence of a signal and a pre-set priority
  • Try to get automatic 4:3 / anamorphic widescreen switching

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home