Thursday, June 09, 2005

Master and Servant

I'm now moving toward a new setup.

The idea is to have the Shuttle as a frontend and slave backend (fed by NTL through a PVR350) with a new master backend in the loft getting a Freeview DVB-T feed.

I'm currently missing a DVB-T card, a suitable aerial and network and power feeds in my loft but I do have the new master backend - a 1GHz PIII Dell GX150.

On my way toward this, I've moved the seek-noisy 200Gb Seagate Barracuda v8 out of the shuttle into the new backend, replacing it temporarily with a 60Gb Hitachi. I eventually plan to either lose the disk entirely and net-boot or use a very quiet, low-capacity 2.5" drive in the shuttle..

The Shuttle is still acting as master for now, managing and hosting the MySQL database. However, the video filestore is hosted via NFS from the GX150. I'll probably leave it like that until I have the DVB-T card and move all master functionality to the GX150.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home